Nav Bar

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday, September 13, 2013

Fall 2013 - What's In The TVPhile Zone?

by Lee Padrick, Friday, September 13, 2013

The mornings and nights are getting cooler, the leaves are turning brown, and football season has started.  What does that mean?  The fish are feasting for the winter ahead and TV shows are premiering.  Its a beautiful time of the year.


Fall, just a few years ago, meant the broadcast and cable networks kick-started stalwarts and unveiled new scripted fare.  That "new show/fall" mentality has been upended somewhat over the past ten years, but this is still the time of year that most networks refresh themselves. 


Between now and the Christmas break, I'll be reviewing some select shows.  Those on my list include:





- Homeland (Season 3)


- Masters of Sex (Season 1, new on Showtime)


- Walking Dead (Season 4)


- Boardwalk Empire (Season 4)


TV shows often are at their peak in seasons three and four.  Many theories abound, but I believe that networks, producers, writers, actors, and fans have sufficiently built a world with well developed characters within the show by 24 - 36 episodes, and all are at their creative peak.  We'll test this theory over the next 3 months together.   


I'll also be talking about shows that are finishing up their seasons, like Dexter, Ray Donovan, The Bridge, and The Newsroom.  I have a few Tivos full of stuff I've been trying to find some time to watch, like Hell on Wheels, Low Winter Sun, Broadchurch, and the History Channel's Vikings (which has been sitting in a folder on a Tivo, only gotten through 4 episodes thus far). Plus, I'll be watching random stuff on Netflix and I'm sure I'll feel compelled to write about it.


So keep checking back regularly and enjoy some of the best TV that we may ever see.  The Golden Age of TV is here!



Random Thoughts:


- Had to edit Broadchurch because I spelled it "Broadchuck."  Did I mention I'm going to miss Yvonne Strahovski when Dexter ends?


- Richard Harrow (Jack Huston) deserves a spin-off.


- Jesse "Todd Landry" Plemons is cast in a potential HBO project called The Missionary.


- Scandal is going to be my guilty pleasure this fall.   


What will you be watching?  


-----

If you like what you're reading here, check out The TVPhile Zone on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment